Jones Posting :)

This is my yak and blab corner. My Online diary, photo album, scratch pad...... a sneak peek into my session on the chair at the psychiatrist's office. :) Basically, just what went on in a day. My thoughts, my sentiments, my life. :)

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Oh no! I AM a shopaholic!

I am currently reading "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella. It felt like reading a biography of myself! I am Becky Bloomwood!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm not saying "I am a shopaholic" beaming with pride as if I'm telling the world I have been crowned a beauty queen. No. I'm saying "I am a shopaholic" with fear and worry --- shopaholic, as in a disorder of some sorts. Some people wear "shopaholic" on their shirts as if it were a badge of valor or something. Ok, I was/am one of those people. I really like to shop. But upon reading this book..... and seeing how silly Becky Bloomwood can be with all her ridiculous spendings ---- it was like frowning upon my own self!

I run to a store with huge sale banners plastered on their display window. The attraction is like that of a moth to a flame. I go crazy on sales. I say, "it's on sale.... so that means I am practically saving money!". Yeah, that's how Becky Bloomwood would put it too. Then last night I was thinking, if I buy things on sale, why does it feel like I am not saving money at all? In fact, I feel more "broke" more than ever.

Duh! It's because I am still spending. If I really want to save, I should stop spending period. Put all shopping sprees to a screeching halt. Stay away from the stores..... sales most especially. Sales. That does the most damage. We tend to buy things we don't "actually NEED" during a sale.

The thing is, there is a fine line that seperates a need from a want. It's not that hard to "confuse" a want from a need.... specially for a shopaholic.

Excerpt from the book:
"Frugality. Simplicity. These are my new watchwords. A new, uncluttered, Zen-like life, in which I spend nothing. I mean when you think about it, how much money do we all waste everyday? No wonder I'm in a little bit of a debt. And really, it's not my fault. I've merely been succumbing to the Western drag of materialism --- which you have to have the strength of elephants to resist. At least, that's what it says in my new book........"

Like in my lastest spending spree, Brian's mom and sister were going to this Outlet Mall in Huntley. Since I wanted to go back to that outlet to get those denim shorts I should've gotten the last time, I decided to tag along.

One measely denim shorts from Gap. That's all I'm buying. It was on sale at 40% off the last time, so that means it'll be around $12. $12 that's it, I kept on telling my self on our way to the Outlet.

When we got there, the shorts was still on sale but for 30% off only. I decided to get it anyway since it's still cheaper than the other denim shorts I see at the malls. But then there was this 50% off sale on these cute little Smocked Tunics. I got that too though I promised myself not to get another top since I have so many summery tops already! Dang, I just could not resist the sale.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In short, I ended up spening a little more than $40 that day. I got 2 books from the Borders Outlet, and these cute bedroom slippers from Aeropostale. Great, and I promised myself a $12 budget for that day!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

See what I mean???? It's a silly addiction already! I spend till I squeez 'em wallets dry. It's not something I should be proud of, I know. Sigh...... Usually, after feeling guilty for the all the spending I've done, I suddenly cram and get into a money-saving program I device for myself. But that lasts for a short while because when I see I have already saved quite a sum, I go spending again. It's like 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Well.... I guess it all boils down to self-control. Discipline. Sacrifice. And as a last resort..... I could just ask someone to hand cuff me to a pole to stop me from going to the mall. :)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home