Jones Posting :)

This is my yak and blab corner. My Online diary, photo album, scratch pad...... a sneak peek into my session on the chair at the psychiatrist's office. :) Basically, just what went on in a day. My thoughts, my sentiments, my life. :)

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Shopaholics Anonymous

Things I need to keep in mind:

1. It is not how much you earn, but how much you save.
2. Salary - Savings = Expenses
3. Don't spend money you don't have (yet).

I was surfing Girltalk earlier and came across this thread with the title "Shop-a-holics, how do you budget your money while shopping?". Hmmmmm, interesting topic. So I opened it and got a few pointers. It was an interesting thread with inspirational anecdotes too. Some of the girls shared their horrific experiences with that tempting piece of plastic -- the credit card.

I never owned one in my entire life, and I'm glad too in a way. The previous job I had doesn't pay a lot so if I had one that time (or if ever an extension of my parent's), being the impulse buyer that I am, I would be in so much debt, I might even be forced to sell my own dog! Nnnnoooooooo! Sorry Keanna (my dog's name) I even entertained such a thought.

Am I a shopaholic already? I must admit, I LOVE shopping. The thrill and the rush of adrenaline I get with every purchase...... But how much is too much?

Everytime I have a little trip to the mall or to State Street or Michigan Ave, I come home (more often than not) with a little purchase. As I walk towards the apartment, my heart beats a little faster as I imagine Brian yelling, "Bumili ka na naman?????". So I hide my purchases until I can come up with a "speech" that I will give to Brian as I "present" my little purchases one by one --- sort of like to justify why this and that is indeed a "very good buy".

I'm bad with money. When I have it, my hand just itches to, I don't know.... spend it? Not that I have a lot. In fact I am just living on my "pocket money". But I know when to step on the brakes. Well, maybe sometimes a little too late.

Yesterday was my first time to visit the Forever 21 store at State Street. My gulay! I didn't know their store was that huge! 3 floors of the cutest and nicest (and relatively cheaper) clothes! One floor was even dedicated to nothing but clothes on sale. It was like how I felt when I "discovered" how nice a store H&M was -- I fell in love with their 3 storey store in Michigan Ave. The retail stores here in the US are enough to drive any woman crazy!

Anyways, shopping is a good distraction --- retail therapy, as they say. Ok, if I analyze it really, the reason I turn to shopping is probably because of some underlying issues that I may have. That's what Dr. Phil might say. I probably use it as a substitute for something I've been missing terribly. Like going out with friends (I miss all my friends back home), spending time with my family, homesickness perhaps? Yeah, I remember shopping with my mom back home. Doing it here sort of reminds me of that I guess. :)

So, I tell myself:
- Too much of anything is never good.
- Always "keep it real" when you enter the stores. (Do ya really need that thing?) :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home